ONTARIO COUNTY (NY) CEMETERIES
Compiled by Preston E. Pierce
Ontario County Historian
This is a consolidated list of burial places within the present boundaries of Ontario County, NY. This list includes all known burial plots established since 1789. It also includes the best information available about cemeteries which have become so obliterated as to render locating them impossible. In a few cases, cemeteries are listed for which there is little hard evidence of their existence. Where noted, the incorporations of many cemeteries are cited from county records.
Despite a feeble attempt in the 1840's, New York did not require the keeping of vital records until 1882. For decades after that date many local government officials operated from their homes or makeshift Town Halls with the result that early records were often lost or damaged. Until recently, there were few central repositories for church records. The burial records of rural cemetery associations and undertakers have also been difficult to access. Our cemeteries, therefore, are our single biggest repository of information on births, deaths, and marriages as well as other historical information. Often containing distinct folk art and architecture, they are a cultural resource increasingly threatened by the elements and man. Approximately 400 Revolutionary patriots have been located in the cemeteries in and around Ontario County. Therefore, it is important for our study of history, and the maintenance of our aesthetic environment, that we conserve our cemeteries. The first step in that continuing process is to take note of what we have. Anyone having additions or corrections to this list is asked to contact the Ontario County Historian at the County Archives (3051 County Complex Dr., Canandaigua, NY 14424. Telephone (716) 396-4376).
Readings of the markers in most of these cemeteries are available at many places including the County Historian's Office; the Ontario County Archives (RAIMS); the Ontario County, Geneva, and East Bloomfield Historical Societies; and the Naples Public Library. Municipal historians often have more detailed information on the cemeteries in their jurisdiction. Frequently, churches, cemetery associations, and local governments and historical societies (where the cemetery is public) have additional information. The readings held by the County Historian (as they were in the early 1980's) were microfilmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah and are widely available through their programs. This listing of names and locations, however, supersedes any previous listings.
Some cemeteries are listed below a line within a municipality. Those are cemeteries whose location cannot be precisely determined, whose existence is questionable, or which do not exist but are referenced to clear up misunderstanding with other publications. In some cases there are map coordinates for those cemeteries. That is the result of the fact that some were identified on early topographic maps, or the site is generally known and GPS readings were taken.
The numbers preceding each cemetery are those assigned by the committee working with the County Historian's Office, the Ontario County Historical Society, and the Ontario County Genealogy Society to index all local burial sites. Numbers seeming to be out of order are the result of initial confusion over cemetery designations, names, locations, or separations. In some cases, cemeteries are discovered long after the rest of those in a municipality have been listed.
Number 216 was used twice in a previous publication. Therefore, #216 (Ringer/Creager), Town of Seneca, has been renumbered #219.
With this edition of the listing we begin providing the map grid coordinates which have resulted from surveys, readings from Global Positioning System (GPS) devices, or data from US Geological Survey maps. The smaller, more obscure, cemeteries have been given priority in the grid coordinate identification effort. In addition, the notations for many sites give information on the incorporation of cemetery associations and other historical documentation.
Every effort is being made to correctly identify the names of cemeteries. Some had received arbitrary name changes over the years. Where possible, the names used in incorporations or deeds are being used. If a cemetery is well-known by more than one name (Baptist Hill/Evergreen, for example) all well-known names are listed.
Actual information from individual cemetery records or readings is widely available from local town historical societies, public libraries, or municipal historians. The Geneva Historical Society, Ontario County Historical Society, and East Bloomfield Historical Society have large collections which are open to the public on a daily basis.
Most of the work of locating, reading, and documenting these burial sites has been done by volunteers and members of local historical and genealogical societies, and the Daughters of the American Revolution. This list is part of a larger continuing effort to create one accurate, widely dispersed guide to an important cultural and family history resource. The Historian would like to thank the following individuals in particular for their efforts: Michael Bloniarz, Charles Callari, Gilbert Smith, and Bruce Stuart of the Ontario County Historical Society and the Ontario County Genealogical Society. Thanks are also due to Alice Dunn, a professional surveyor with a keen interest in local history. The original listing was done by former County Historian, Clyde Maffin in the mid-1960's with similar volunteer help. The Town and Village Historians of the county, together with the staff of the Ontario County Archive (RAIMS), have provided valuable assistance to all those who have worked on this list.
VILLAGE OF BLOOMFIELD
[FORMERLY THE VILLAGES OF EAST BLOOMFIELD AND HOLCOMB]
Cem. GPS/Survey Coordinates Name and location of cemetery.
1 42.53.46N 77.25.56W East Bloomfield Cemetery (Off Elton Park.) [Original location on property of Bloomfield Academy Museum.]
2 42.54.06N 77.26.01W St. Bridget's Cemetery (Behind St. Bridget's Catholic Church.)
TOWN OF BRISTOL
3 42.50.57N 77.24.37W Andrews Cemetery (East side of Flatiron Road.)
4 42.50.39N 77.25.26W Baptist Hill/Evergreen Cemetery (County Rd. #2 in the hamlet of BaptisHill.)
5 42.48.41N 77.23.28W Bristol Center Cemetery (East side of Route 64 in the hamlet of BristolCenter.)
6 42.49.23N 77.25.13W Case Cemetery (South side of Gregg Road at Elm Tree Road.)
214 Clement Cemetery (40 yards northeast of 5279 Gulick Rd.)
7 42.48.56N 77.26.33W Damon Cemetery (On old Gregg farm, south side of Gregg Road near Egypt Road in woods diagonally opposite gas well. Just before curve. On some old listings of the 1940's this is called Graveyard Hill Cemetery.)
8 42.46.23N 77.27.10W Doyle Cemetery (East side of County Rd. #33 south of Ganyard Hill Road.)
9 42.46.24N 77.26.53W Egypt Valley Cemetery (On hill above Doyle Cemetery.)
10 Ganyard Hill/Parsons/South Hill Cemetery (On abandoned Logan Road between South Hill Road and Ganyard Hill.)
11 Simmons Private Cemetery (South of Route 20-A near County Road #32.)
12 42.50.26N 77.23.33W Vincent Hill/Codding Cemetery (North side of Vincent Hill Road.)
13 42.51.14N 77.28.44W _____ (East side of Briggs Rd. Near Bloomfield town border. May actually be in Town of Richmond)
TOWN OF CANADICE
14 42.44.39N 77.35.5OW Bald Hill/Pulver Cemetery (West of Route 15-A opposite Purcell Hill Road.)
15 42.44.14N 77.32.28W Canadice Corners Cemetery (East side of County Road #37 at church near intersection of Canadice Hill Rd. Probably also known as Canadice Hill Cemetery in old records.)
16 42.45.26N 77.35.09W Canadice Hollow Cemetery (West side of Canadice Hollow Road north of Coykendall Hill Road.)
17 42.40.47N 77.32.41W Tibbals Cemetery (On abandoned road off east side of Ross Road)
Wemett Cemetery (On Route #15-A North and East of Pulver Cemetery and North of Coykendall Rd. intersection.)
CITY OF CANANDAIGUA
18 42.52.44N 77.16.56W Calvary Cemetery (South side of Clark Street.) [St. Mary's Catholic Church parish cemetery.]
19 42.53.11N 77.17.03W Pioneer Cemetery (South side of West Avenue.)
20 42.53.12N 77.17.12W West Avenue Cemetery (North side of West Avenue.) [Some bodies exhumed when Park Avenue constructed early 1900's.]
21 42.53.20N 77.17.54W Woodlawn Cemetery (West side of North Pearl Street.) [Has some graves moved from Pioneer Cemetery.]
TOWN OF CANANDAIGUA
22 42.46.13N 77.20.21W Academy Cemetery (South side of Seneca Point Road at County Road #16.)
23 42.53.54N 77.20.59W Cooley Cemetery (Northeast side of Cooley Road near intersection of Short Road.)
24 42.48.02N 77.20.15W Lucas Cemetery (East Side of Route 21 south of Lucas Road.)
25 42.56.03N 77.21.39W New Michigan/Tilton Cemetery (East side of New Michigan Road north of Yerkes Road.)
26 42.48.58N 77.19.36W Pine Bank Cemetery (South side of Wells-Curtice Road at Cheshire.)
27 42.50.29N 77.16.53W Benham/Red Dock/Wolverton (On abandoned road west of County Road #16 just north of Wyffles Road.) [In woods just north of houses at east end of Wyffles Road.]
28 42.50.39N 77.18.22W Root/Remington Cemetery (Corner of Nott Road and Middle Cheshire Road.) [Landlocked]
29 42.55.36N 77.16.40W Sand Hill Cemetery (South side of Emerson Road at Sand Hill Road.)
30 42.51.50N 77.20.33W Woolhouse/Hunn Cemetery (Corner of Woolhouse Road and County Road #32.)
31 Farm Lot Cemetery [This is almost certainly the Power Cemetery in the Town of Farmington.]
VILLAGE OF CLIFTON SPRINGS
32 42.57.72N 77.07.59W Clifton Springs Cemetery (West of Pearl Street at the south edge of the Village.)
TOWN OF EAST BLOOMFIELD
33 42.55.45N 77.27.32W Dibble Cemetery (South side of County Rd. #39.) [Do not confuse Boughton Road with Boughton Hill Road in Victor.]
34 42.55.51N 77.28.09W French Cemetery (On Bennett Road near intersection with County Rd. #30.) [In woods.]
35 42.53.07N 77.23.30W Gunn Cemetery (West side of Whalen Road near Route 20.)
36 42.51.40N 77.23.18W Lee/South Bloomfield Cemetery South side of Grimble Road near Route 64.)
37 42.52.55N 77.24.46W Parker Cemetery (South of Gauss Road between Oakmount and Flatiron Roads.)
38 42.55.37N 77.23.54W Rice Cemetery (East side of Pond Road near Rice Road.)
39 42.51.52N 77.23.24W Wheeler Private Cemetery (West side of Route 64 near Wheeler Road. In hedgerow on rise overlooking highway near house of Rogers farm .)
40 42.51.44N 77.22.33W Wheeler Private Cemetery (South side of Grimble Road near Wheeler Station Road.)
41 Reed Cemetery (Location uncertain.)
42 Sand Hill/South Bloomfield (This cemetery is fictitious. Readings exist in some local collections, and the cemetery is on other lists. Examination of the readings has shown, however, that this is the Sand Hill Cemetery in the Town of Canandaigua.)
TOWN OF FARMINGTON
43 43.01.42N 77.19.11W Friends/Orthodox/North Farmington Cemetery (East of County Rd. #8 at Sheldon Road. Behind Farmington Friends Church.) [Quaker]
44 42.57.43N 77.20.59W Hathaway Cemetery (South of County Rd. #41 near Route 332.) [In patch of woods on rise behind barn. Right-of-way past barn.]
45 42.57.41N 77.21.58W Lapham Family Cemetery [unknown location on old Lapham farm at corner of County Rd. #41 and New Michigan Road. Records of St. John's Episcopal Church, Canandaigua, record burials there. A former owner has stated his belief that the grave sites are in the lawn of the house.]
46 42.57.58N 77.15.27W Payne Cemetery (South of Route 96 near Sand Hill Road and railroad crossing.)
47 42.57.49N 77.20.44W Powers Cemetery (South of Shortsville Road near Route 332.)
48 43.01.54N 77.19.45W Salem/Lutheran/German Cemetery (East of Road leading north from hamlet of Farmington ("Pumpkin Hook").)
49 42.57.23N 77.16.48W South Farmington/Chapel Cemetery (South side of Shortsville Road at County Rd. #28.) [Originally Hicksite Quaker.]
50 Preston Cemetery [unknown location on farm once owned by Wesley Payne (1989).]
51 42.58.27N 77.20.58W O.D. Herendeen Cemetery (South side of NYS Route 96 just west of Hook Rd. intersection.)
52 42.58.26N 77.20.38W Cooper/Allen/Brown Cemetery was located beneath parking lot of Finger Lakes Race Track. The bodies were exhumed and moved to unknown location early 1960's.
CITY OF GENEVA
53 42.50.48N 76.58.57W Glenwood Cemetery (West side of Route 14 at south end of city.)
54 42.51.58N 76.59.20W Pulteney Street Cemetery (On site of Geneva Middle School/old High School. Bodies exhumed and moved to section of Glenwood Cemetery in 1925.)
55 42.52.34N 76.58.09W St. Patrick's Cemetery (South side of North Street near County line.) [Catholic]
56 Trinity Church/Ridge Episcopal site (On site of Chapel of Trinity Church complex.)
57 42.51.44N 76.59.27W Washington Street Cemetery (Washington Street)
TOWN OF GENEVA
58 42.50.28N 77.01.21W Earl/Nicholas Cemetery (South side of Hastings Rd. near Seneca Town line.)
71 42.46.04N 77.00.13W Barnes/Brown Cemetery (South side of Kashong Rd. east of County Rd. 6.)
61 42.53.45N 77.00.45W Clise/Ringer Cemetery (West side of County Rd. #6 just north of St. Mary's Cemetery.)
62 42.52.39N 77.00.42W Crittenden Cemetery (Corner of County Rd. #6 and County Rd. #4)
63 42.49.48N 76.58.47W Glass Factory Bay Cemetery (East side of Route 14 at Glass Factory Bay two miles south of Geneva.)
64 Kippen Cemetery (East of Route 14 opposite Hastings Road.)
65 Reed Cemetery (East side of County Rd. #6 near Reed Road.)
66 42.53.42N 77.00.48W St. Mary's Cemetery (West side of County Rd. #6 north of County Rd. #4.) [Catholic]
72 42.53.56N 76.59.19W Smith Cemetery (West of NYS Rt. 14, north of Gambee [Gambie] Rd. behind International Paper Co.)
67 42.49.06N 77.00.19W Brookside/Snell Cemetery (South side of Snell Road.)
68 42.48.05N 76.58.58W Winter Cemetery (North side of Billsboro Road.)
69 Witter Cemetery (Corner of County Rd. #6 and Ansley Road.)
70 42.54.10N 76.57.53W Woodin Cemetery (West side of County Line Road/Preemption St. At Geneva town line.)
60 42.53.58N 76.59.14W Brown Cemetery (Off north end of Libby Lane)
TOWN OF GORHAM
73 42.46.48N 77.12.51W Baldwin's Corners/Dwelle Cemetery (West side of Route 247 near Route 245.)
75 42.46.51N 77.15.38W Lord Cemetery (North side of Jones Road, near Twitchell Road. Near Route 364.)
76 42.47.56N 77.08.35W New Gorham Cemetery (North side of Route 245 west of County Rd. #18)
77 42.47.56N 77.08.26W Old Gorham Cemetery (North side of Route 245 east of County Rd. #18)
78 42.48.39N 77.09.52W Pickett/Denham Cemetery (Lake-to-Lake Road at with Gorham-Reed's Corners Road (Co. Rd. #18))
79 42.50.05N 77.11.08W Presbyterian Cemetery (West side of Yautzy Road near Depew Road.)
80 42.50.05N 77.12.56W Reed's Corners Cemetery (West side of Route 247 at Reed's Corners hamlet)
81 Southworth Cole burial site (In lawn of #4631 East Lake Road near Crystal Beach.)
82 42.47.40N 77.14.24W Washburn Cemetery (Near intersection of County Rd. #1 and Conklin Roads.)
TOWN OF HOPEWELL
83 42.54.05N 77.12.04W Benham Cemetery (North of County Rd. #4 near Freshour Road.)
84 42.54.05N 77.08.28W Buchan Cemetery (North of County Rd. #4 near Algerine Street.)
85 42.55.24N 77.11.49W Chapman Cemetery (North side of Route 488 near Pettit Road.)
86 42.56.26N 77.13.46W Dillon/Greenhouse Cemetery (West side of Route 21 near Latting Road.)
87 42.53.35N 77.12.36W Dunkel Cemetery (West side of Freshour Road about half a mile north of Co. Rd. #46.)
215 Estey Cemetery (In woods off Co. Rd. #4 just before Algerine St. across from Nedrow farm (1998) on property owned by John Gordner (Seneca Castle) and used as Campbell residence.)
88 42.51.35N 77.12.03W Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery (East side of Mumby Road near Route 20.)
89 42.54.02N 77.13.08W Moore Cemetery (South of County Rd. #4 near Smith Road.)
90 42.53.26N 77.13.06W Ontario County Cemetery/Poor House Cemetery (Off County Rd. #46 across from Jail annex and Safety Training building.)
91 42.53.39N 77.08.32W Algerine Street Cemetery (West side of Algerine Street) [Location shown on 1874 Atlas of Ontario County, "Hopewell".]
92 Hopewell Burying Ground/Green Cemetery (Cemetery Rd. just off Canandaigua-Geneva Rd.) [May be Pioneer Cemetery.]
216 42.54.02N 77.09.39W _____. (On hill at intersection of Co. Rd. #4 and Spangle St. Reputed to contain slave burials.)
TOWN OF MANCHESTER
93 42.56.48N 77.10.53W Herrington Cemetery (East of Lovers Lane near Hopewell Town Line Road.)
94 42.56.42N 77.11.16W Hill/McCauley Cemetery (North of Hopewell Town Line Road at Boyce Road.)
217 Judd/Melvin burial site (Two graves about 50 feet into the woods, south side of Water St. about 100 feet from the intersection of Rt. 21. near old foundation at edge of new fill land.)
95 42.57.44N 77.11.13W Pioneer/Shaving Street Cemetery (Dewey Road.)
96 43.02.09N 77.09.34W Port Gibson Cemetery (In the village.)
97 43.00.56N 77.13.30W Purdy Cemetery (West of Route 21 near Armington School Road.)
98 42.57.40N 77.09.31W St. Agnes Cemetery (North side of County Rd. #13 just west of Clifton Springs.)
102 43.02.15N 77.10.43W Smith Cemetery. (East side of County Rd. 27 between Bedett Rd. and Wayne County line. On Town Lot 102. On edge of woods a ways back from the road.)
99 43.01.11N 77.14.37W Stafford Cemetery (West of Stafford Road near Fox Road.)
100 42.58.52N 77.11.18W Sunnyside Cemetery (South of Outlet Road at Faas Road.)
101 42.59.04N 77.10.54W _____. (West side of County Rd. 7 between Fass Rd. and Bunker Hill Rd. intersection. May be in Town Lot 111 along center line of Town near Manchester Center. See 1874 county atlas.)
103 Wells Family Cemetery. [This cemetery is fictitious.]
VILLAGE OF MANCHESTER
104 42.57.56N 77.13.53W Village Cemetery (At Baptist Church on west side of Route 21 in village.)
TOWN OF NAPLES
106 42.34.36N 77.26.44W Barker/Town Line Cemetery (South side of County Rd. #21 at Yates County line.)
107 42.39.00N 77.25.11W Dedrick Cemetery (East side of County Rd. #33 near Davis Road.)
108 Garlinghouse Cemetery (West side of Garlinghouse Road at Richards Road.)
109 42.39.49N 77.29.14W Hunt's Hollow Cemetery (East of County Rd. #36 at Livingston County line.)
110 42.40.01N 77.26.39W Pierce Family Cemetery (West side of Gulick Road just south of South Bristol Town line. In grove of trees back from the road about 100 yards.)
111 42.39.40N 77.25.16W School House Cemetery (West of West Hollow north of Clement Road.)
112 42.39.46N 77.22.56W Seamens Corners Cemetery (North side of Oakley Road near Rhine Street.)
114 42.34.54N 77.25.16W South Hill/Gerrould Cemetery (South of Naples village near intersection of Pine Hill, Ingleside, and Reservoir Rds (Route 53). 1942 list says just North of Fred Fleischman farm then occupied by Earle Fleischman.)
113 42.39.37N 77.25.16W West Hollow Cemetery (West side of County Rd. #33 at Clement Road.)
VILLAGE OF NAPLES
115 42.37.34N 77.23.48W Fairview Cemetery (Behind park west of Route 21 at north edge of Village.)
116 42.37.01N 77.24.43W Roseridge Cemetery (East side of County Rd. #33 at west end of Village.)
TOWN OF PHELPS
117 42.56.26N 77.00.46W Armstrong Cemetery (East of County Rd. #6 just north of Oaks Corners.)
118 42.56.14N 77.06.04W Baggerly Cemetery (Corner of Wheat Road and Case Road.)
119 42.58.18N 77.00.49W Brink Cemetery (County Rd. #6 about one-half mile north of Fisher Rd on east side.)
120 42.57.02N 77.00.35W Burnett Cemetery (Northeast corner of County Rd. #6 and Maryland St.)
121 42.58.54N 77.00.53W Cobb-Smith Cemetery (West side of County Rd. #6 south of Gifford Rd.)
122 42.59.17N 77.05.36W Five Waters/Miller Cemetery (West of corner of NYS Route 88 and County Rd. #25 on County Rd. #25/Outlet Rd.)
123 43.00.07N 76.59.13W Maryland Street Road/"Harris Farm" Cemetery (1200 ft. East of Maryland Street between Bodner and Reed Roads. Two miles south of Alloway on shore of Canandaigua Outlet)
218 42.58.33N 76.58.22W Hoffman Cemetery (On south side of Cuddeback Rd. 0.3 miles east of NYS Rt. 14 in small grove of trees between Bostwick and Avery Roads)
124 42.56.51N 76.59.10W Humphrey Cemetery (North side of Route 96 in gravel pit.)
125 42.55.44N 77.01.33W Joslyn Cemetery (North side of County Rd. #23 at Lester Road.)
126 42.55.08N 77.03.51W Melvin Hill Cemetery (West side of Melvin Hill Road near County Rd. #23.)
127 42.59.16N 77.05.36W Miller Cemetery (Outlet Road northwest of Village of Phelps.)
128 42.54.11N 76.57.52W Nicholson Cemetery (West side of County Line Road at the Geneva Town line on Big Oak Golf Course property.)
129 42.55.00N 77.00.42W Oaklawn Cemetery (East side of County Rd. #6 near Preece Road.)
131 42.58.06N 77.01.44W Pinewood Cemetery (South side of Pinewood Road.)
132 43.00.32N 77.02.52W Purchase/Aldrich Cemetery (South side of Abandoned part of Burnett Rd. west of Neider Rd.)
133 42.59.57N 76.58.47W Rhea Cemetery (East side of Lyons-Geneva Road (Route 14).)
134 42.55.06N 77.07.06W Rice/Orleans Cemetery (Corner of County Rd. #20 and County Rd. #23.)
135 42.59.02N 77.07.46W Riverview/Plainsville/Gypsum Cemetery (North side of County Rd. #25 near County Rd. #27.)
136 42.54.23N 76.57.50W Scott/Haviland/Doty Cemetery (North side of Packwood Rd. west of Dobbins Corner on Townline Rd.)
137 42.57.21N 76.59.47W Vandemark Cemetery (South of Fisher Road on abandoned road near Thruway.)
138 42.58.09N 77.00.49W Westfall/South Lyons Cemetery (West side of Lyons-Geneva Road (NYS Route 14).)
139 42.55.21N 77.06.26W Wheat Cemetery (East side of Wheat Road.)
VILLAGE OF PHELPS
140 42.57.31N 77.03.49W Pioneer Cemetery (South side of Main Street)
141 42.57.39N 77.03.50W Resthaven Cemetery (North side of Main Street behind old High School.)
142 42.57.44N 77.03.47W St. Francis Catholic Cemetery (North of Rest Haven Cemetery on Clifton St.)
TOWN OF RICHMOND
143 42.48.31N 77.32.10W Adams Cemetery (North side of Ashley Rd. across from driveway of house at 9181 Ashley Rd.) [Bodies exhumed and moved to Lakeview Cemetery.
144 42.50.28N 77.31.03W Allen's Hill Cemetery (North side of Belcher Road near County Rd. #40.)
145 Baker Cemetery (Back of District School on Abbey Road)
146 Barkley homestead site (Stone for Lucy Frost Barkley is located west of the house at 5314 Gulick Rd.) [The stone was formerly in the cemetery at Frosttown, Town of South Bristol.]
147 42.45.36N 77.30.06W Bray/Hamilton/Barkley Cemetery (On abandoned road east side of East Lake Road near Burns Point.)
148 42.50.20N 77.34.23W Dennison Corners Cemetery (East side of O'Neil Road near Shetler Road.)
149 42.47.06N 77.31.08W Lakeview Cemetery (West side of County Rd. #36 near Sandy Bottom park.) [Sometimes recorded incorrectly as "Clearview" Cemetery.]
150 McCrossen burial place. (In yard of house at 9601 Big Tree Rd. Three McCrossen stones. Bodies exhumed and moved to Union Cemetery, Town of Livonia, Livingston Co.
151 Pemberton Cemetery (East side of Canadice Lake Rd. on the southwest corner of the property at 4981 Canadice Lake Rd.) [Bodies exhumed and moved to Union Cemetery, Town of Livonia, Livingston Co.]
152 42.47.24N 77.34.10W Pitts/Blackmer/Pioneer Cemetery (North side of Grandview Drive just off Route 20-A near historical marker for Capt. Peter Pitts homestead.)
153 Purcell/Curtiss Cemetery (South of Route 20-A at Purcell Road.) Incorporated (1875) as West Richmond Cemetery.
154 42.48.30N 77.32.01W Richmond Center Cemetery (West side of County Rd. #37 near Ashley Road.)
155 42.47.13N 77.31.57W St. Mary's Cemetery (South of County Rd. #37 at Briggs Street.) [Catholic]
156 42.51.09N 77.31.58W Williams/Sweet Cemetery (500 feet south of West Bloomfield Town line and about 500 feet east of County Rd. #37.) [In a hedgerow on old Raymond Grundman farm.]
157 Pennell's Corners Cemetery (Location unknown)
VILLAGE OF RUSHVILLE
158 42.45.50N 77.13.33W Rushville Cemetery (East side of Main Street)
TOWN OF SENECA
160 42.46.00N 77.01.56W _____ (West side of Wabash Road near Kashong Switch Road.)
161 42.50.29N 77.03.18W _____ (East side of Number Nine Road near Leet Road.)
162 42.50.27N 77.03.23W _____ (South side of Leet Road near Number Nine Road.)
159 42.47.12N 77.01.58W Cooley Cemetery (West side of Wabash Street near Robson Road.)
163 42.48.37N 77.02.01W Culver/Hooper Cemetery (Corner of Wabash Street and Lake-to-Lake Road.)
164 Dunbar Cemetery (South side of Ansley Road on hilltop west of Rasmussen farm (1990))
165 42.53.07N 77.02.35W Gates/Butcher Cemetery (East of Sutton Road near County Rd. #4.)
166 Glann Cemetery (County Rd.- #29 on knoll two miles east of Gorham.)
167 42.47.16N 77.05.38W Little Church/Log Meeting House Cemetery (Corner of Little Church Road and Gorham Road.)
168 42.48.50N 77.03.02W New Number Nine Cemetery (Across the road from Number Nine Cemetery.)
169 42.48.51N 77.03.08W Number Nine Cemetery (West side of Number Nine Road near Route 245.)
219 Ringer/Creager/Johnson Road Cemetery (Behind cobblestone house at 2916 Johnson Rd. about 1 mile north of intersection with County Road #4)
170 42.49.58N 77.06.04W St. Theresa Cemetery (East side of Flint Road near Short Road.)
171 42.51.35N 77.04.23W Sand Hill Cemetery (South side of Route 20 near County Rd. #5.)
172 42.48.36N 77.05.09W Squier Cemetery I (Lake-to-Lake Road 1600 feet east of Little Church Road.)
173 42.57.27N 77.13.44W Squier Cemetery II (Behind farm of Louis Minn (1989) east of Number Nine Road.)
174 42.53.12N 77.04.29W Whitney Cemetery (North side of County Rd. #4 near Whitney Road.)
175 42.53.12N 77.02.42W _____ (On Old Castle Rd. between Melvin Hill Rd. and Fort Hill Rd. On Town Lot 38 North. On USGS maps.)
VILLAGE OF SHORTSVILLE
176 42.57.27N 77.13.44W Brookside Cemetery (East side of Route 21 in the village.)
177 42.57.19N 77.14.16W St. Rose Cemetery (North side of Shortsville Road at west side of Village.)
178 42.57.16N 77.13.42W Theophilus Short Cemetery (South of Main Street in the village.)
TOWN OF SOUTH BRISTOL
179 42.45.24N 77.24.22W Allen Cemetery (West side of Route 64 near Bristol Town line.) [Location shown on USGS maps.]
180 42.43.51N 77.24.14W "Brown Stand" Cemetery (On bluff overlooking northwest intersection of Route 64 and County Rd. #34.) [Obliterated except for a few fallen stones. Names from this cemetery are frequently listed with Wilder Cemetery names.]
181 42.44.44N 77.26.36W Burby Hollow Cemetery (East side of County Rd. #33 near Mosher Road.) [Also known as "Parmalee" Cemetery and so called on USGS maps.]
182 42.44.59N 77.21.41W Covil's Corners/Standish Cemetery [North side of Hicks Rd near NYS Route 21.]
183 42.43.23N 77.21.56W Coye Cemetery (East side of Route 21 at Bopple Hill Road.)
184 Frost Town/Gulick Gorge Cemetery Cemetery (West of Gulick Road along rim of Briggs Gully.) [May also be known as McGreavy Cemetery.]
185 42.41.14N 77.26.23W Hill Cemetery(On Cutler scout reservation off Gulick Rd.)
187 42.44.44N 77.28.15W Quayle Cemetery (East side of Gulick Road near Mosher Road and opposite Ross Road.)
188 42.45.07N 77.21.44W Randall Cemetery (East side of Route 21 near Hicks Rd.)
189 Wilder Cemetery (East side of Route 64 on bluff along creek. Near north line of state land.)
190 Brady-Wilder Farm/Old Church Cemetery [On north line of Gamaliel Wilder farm, "west of the road." Cemetery plowed up by Charles Brady prior to 1911. 1851 map of Ontario County shows what appears to be this cemetery just north of Brown Cemetery above.]
191 Davis Hill Cemetery [Location unknown. May be the same as Quayle Cemetery above.]
192 Gulick Cemetery [Location unknown.]
186 Storrs Farm Cemetery (Overgrown on old Storrs farm off abandoned southern end of Worden Hill Road.) [Has been called Parsons/South Hill in error.]
TOWN OF VICTOR
193 Baker/Bennett Cemetery (Near Audobon Club and Powder Mill Park on Fishers Road.) [Graves enclosed by fence near barn.]
194 Barber Family Cemetery (351 Fisher Road in side yard.)
195 42.57.34N 77.24.50W Boughton Hill Cemetery (Corner of County Rd. #3 and County Rd. #41.)
196 43.00.30N 77.28.13W Pabos Burial Site (Under obelisque near bridge on Wangum Road near park in hamlet of Fishers.)
197 43.00.32N 77.26.36W Park Cemetery (Rowley Road east of Route 96) [At site of Burger King Restaurant. Bodies exhumed.]
198 43.00.34N 77.28.10W Fishers Abandoned Cemetery [Near intersection of Fishers Main Street and Wangum Road. Eight graves never removed including Deborah, John, and Bethiah Fisher.]
199 Hart Farm Site [Unknown site on Victor-Egypt Rd.]
200 Hill Burial Site [Unmarked burial of Gregory Hill behind house at 7709 Mendon Road (Rt. 251).]
201 43.01.52N 77.23.22W Lane Cemetery [Daily Road near Blazey and Richardson Roads (near Monroe County line). Exact location unidentifiable now. Most bodies exhumed and reburied in South Perrinton Cemetery. One stone left as step on back porch of Carl Leigh family (1992). Grave of John L. Lane and Sarah Lane may still be there as well as Mary Luthena Dickinson Lane.]
202 Murray/"Dillman Farm" Cemetery [In pasture just west of farm.]
203 Parsons/Crossman's Farm Burial Site [118 Fisher Road.]
204 Sale Burial Site [Unmarked grave about 400 feet south of Bernard McCarthy house (1992) on Brownsville Rd.]
205 Smith Farm Site [Unknown location on farm of Nicholas Smith south of Boughton Hill.]
VILLAGE OF VICTOR
206 42.59.21N 77.25.09W St. Patrick's Cemetery (High Street) [Catholic]
207 42.58.52N 77.24.28W Village Cemetery (Behind Methodist Church on south side of Main Street.)
208 42.59.04N 77.24.35W Proprietor's Church Cemetery [On Moore Avenue.]
TOWN OF WEST BLOOMFIELD
209 Brombley Cemetery (In pasture about 300 feet behind dwelling at 3328 Taft Rd.)
210 42.55.51N 77.29.46W Ionia/Miller's Corners Cemetery (South of County Rd. #14 near County Rd. #38 in hamlet of Ionia.)
211 42.56.18N 77.34.12W North Bloomfield Cemetery (North of Route 65 near Monroe County line.)
212 42.54.09N 77.32.24W Pioneer Cemetery (West of County Rd. #37 at south end of village.)
213 42.54.31N 77.31.58W Rural Cemetery (North side of Route 20 behind former St. Joseph's Church at east end of village.)
Naples Library cemetery book lists this cemetery found in 1942 as Graveyard Hill. It contained graves with six family names: Reynolds, Fitch, Jones, Waldron, Damon, Reynolds. Readings of stones in Naples book which was distributed to DAR and is also found in separate old bound Naples cemetery book at Ontario County Historical Society.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1881. Book 1. pp. 117-118. The name of the corporation is the "Canadice Hill Rural Cemetery Association." Although the specific piece of land is not named, the Corners cemetery is located at the intersection of Canadice Hill Road with the two roads named.
While this cemetery has been known for some time, it has never been read and there are no records. Residents suspect that it was a family cemetery. Its listing here is based on the testimony of witnesses that it does, indeed, exist. To date, no stones have been found.
Ontario County Land Records. Liber 71, p. 132. Moses Atwater sells 3.5 acres. Mentions Atwater's "sand hill." Surveyed by Jeffrey Chipman, Aug. 4, 1841; Ontario County Land Records. Liber 109, p. 129. Trustees of Village of Canandaigua sell Lot #92 in burying ground on northline of Cross St. to trustees of Ontario Lodge #22 IOOF; Minutes of the Trustees of Canandaigua village (Jun. 5, 1855) repeal the original provision that no persons of color be buried in the cemetery. Minutes of the Trustees (Jan. 11, 1856) direct selling of lots.
See pamphlet: Quarter Century Report of Canandaigua Cemetery Association. Canandaigua, New York. Woodlawn Cemetery 1884-1909 (Canandaigua, NY: Ontario County Times Presses, 1909). See: Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1884. Book 1. pp. 155-57.
Ontario County Clerk. 1937. Incorporations. Book 6. p. 309. A note was made in the book index that incorporation papers for the academy Cemetery Corporation were filed on Jul. 22, 1936 but "not recorded." A certificate of incorporation was recorded on Jul. 24, 1937.
Naukam. p. 5. No other local source gives any indication of this cemetery. Naukam states that it is probably found on Town Lot 107 which does not appear to be in that location. The Rochester Public Library is said to have a two-page list of readings made in 1966. A later edition of the Naukam publication calls this cemetery the Power Cemetery which is situated as described only on County Rd. 41, not Town Line Rd. In a letter to the County Historian, Preston E. Pierce, dated Oct. 9, 1998, Elaine Brown stated that this cemetery does exist separately from the Power Cemetery. [Historian's Cemetery File.]
A map sketched by Town Historian, Lewis F. Allen, 1939, indicates burial site in northwest corner of property near County Rd. #41. Map in County Historian's cemetery file. In a letter to Historian, Preston Pierce, dated Oct. 9, 1998, Elaine K. Brown stated her belief that stones were in the woods just south of the Lapham House. [County Historian's Cemetery File.]
Naukam. p. 11. This is probably the cemetery at the Race Track. It appears on the 1904 Atlas of Ontario County. In a letter to the Historian, Preston E. Pierce, dated Oct. 9, 1998, Elaine Brown indicated that this cemetery was in the middle of the field when she was a child and had only 2 or 3 stones. [Historian's Cemetery File.]
This is probably confused with a possible O.D. Herendeen Cemetery. In a letter to the Historian, Preston E. Pierce, dated Oct. 9, 1998, Elaine Brown stated ther her grandparents owned this farm from 1908-1933. She believes the University of Rochester did some testing on remains found at the time the racetrack was built. Brown indicates that Kasson Crooker, who lived in Bloomfield, took the stones. The stones were at the home of Beatrice Crooker in the 1950's. Brown states that Samuel Cooper was buried there as is his wife. [Historian's Cemetery File.]
The Brown Cemetery sometimes listed on the south side of Kashong Rd. is the same as this Barnes/Brown. Old maps make it appear that Kashong Road was rerouted over the years so that as far back as 1852 and 1859 a cemetery appeared on the north side of the road.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1948. A certificate of incorporation was filed Jan. 23, 1948 for "St. Mary's Cemetery of Geneva, New York, Inc." but it was never recorded, and probably was not approved by the Secretary of State.
Naukam. p. 15. Records available at Geneva Historical Soc. Last grave 1909. Thirteen graves total. A research paper on this cemetery, written by a Geneva High School student in the early 1980's, is available at the Ontario County Historical Society in the Geneva volume of cemetery readings.
There is some question whether or not this cemetery is actually within the Town of Phelps. It borders Nicholson Cemetery. Readings will often be found under "Geneva" and the Town of Geneva cosiders it within the town.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1874. pp. 81-82. The incorporation states the name as the "Dwelle Cemetery Association" although that name has not been applied to the cemetery in modern times. It specifies that the cemetery is based upon a deed from Parly Gates and is located on Lot 49 in the Town of Gorham near a school, a description which fits Baldwin's Corners.
This cemetery has been listed as Hawley, or Hawley-Taylor since a reading done in 1965. No members of the Hawley or Taylor families are buried here. The property belonged to Ethan Lord who lived nearby and is buried in the cemetery. The erroneous listing dates from at least 1965 when a local genealogist distributed a reading with the name Hawley-Taylor. For verification of the correct name see: Ontario County land records. Liber 244, p. 370 (1903). Also: Gage, Floyd H. "The Lord Cemetery History." 2000. Typescript in County Historian's cemetery file.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1861. Book 1. pp. 43-44. The incorporation states that the Cemetery was located in School District 5 of the Town of Gorham, a description which fits Pickett Cemetery. It has not been known as Denham Cemetery in modern times.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. Book 1. 1869. p. 67-68; Ontario County land records, Liber 29, p. 263. In the deed for the cemetery Joseph Wood sold the land to James "McFarson" and John Goodwin, Jun., the trustees of school District No. #6 of the Town of Gorham. The 1874 Atlas of Ontario County, and the 1859 map of the county (located at RAIMS, and other places), both indicate that Reed's Corners was in District #8. However, McIntosh's 1876 History of Ontario County (p. 152) indicates that the first school in the area was on the same lot as the Congregational Church. The deed description within Lot #54 is undoubtedly Reed's Corners. Either the school district was renumbered or an error in numbering was made since District #6 was not on Lot #54.
This cemetery has also been known as Washburn-Conklin Cemetery. Conklin Cemetery is sometimes listed separately. These listings are erroneous. See: Ontario County land records. Verification of the name appears in Ontario County land records. Liber 244, 1903. p. 118. Also: Gage, Floyd H. "The Washburn Cemetery History." 2000. Typescript in County Historian's cemetery file. See: Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. Book 1. 1866. p. 61-62.
May be the same as Algerine Street Cemetery below although description appears to make it too close to County Rd. 4 for it to be Algerine Street Cemetery. Stone may have been removed from Algerine Street Cemetery when it was obliterated sometime after 1915.
The visible stones are merely numbered. A listing of those buried in the Ontario County/Poor House Cemetery can be found at the county Health Facility, the County Archives (RAIMS), and at the County Historian's Office.
May be Estey cemetery located in 1998 with one visible stone (Belle C. Estey 1865-1905). Cemetery was south of house owned by Eoris Eldredge (1999) and labeled as M.S. Esty on 1874 county atlas. Does not appear to be close enough to County Rd. 4 to fit description of Estey Cemetery above. Close to Algerine Street according to 1915 deed, Ontario County RAIMS. Land Records. Liber 291. p. 522. Apr. 1, 1915. Mary G. Palmer to William H. Sheppard and Lillie. Part of Lot 64. Contains exception, a "small piece of ground lying in the southeast corner of that portion of the premises above described which lies west of the Highway, now [e]nclosed with a board fence, being 2 rods north and south and 1 1/2 rods east and west." Deed refers to bordering land of John Freshour. John, and later Freshours, owned the house next south of the cemetery shown on the 1874 atlas map.
See broadside by "A.L. Dewey." History of Shaving Street Burying-Ground. No date is given but the last paragraph talks about action "under the new incorporation, which was organized a few weeks ago.." which will change the name to Pioneer Cemetery and which will add an acre of land. Broadside available from County Historian; Also: Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1908. Book 3. pp. 226-225. In the incorporation the cemetery is called "Pioneers' Cemetery."
This cemetery is cited in Naukam, p. 24 but does not exist. It is cited here because the Naukam book is widely distributed, and because there is a "reading" for Wells Cemetery in the archives of the Ontario County Historical Society . Copies may be elsewhere. Examination of that list, however, reveals that all names on it are found in Manchester Village Cemetery rows 19 and 20.
Name changed to Maryland Street Road Cemetery after investigation by Phelps Historical Society revealed that it was never actually on the property of the Harris Farm. In any case, the Harris family owned the adjoining farm for only a short time in the Nineteenth Century, and there are other families represented in the cemtery. The cemetery is on Great Lot 6, just south of the line with Great Lot 8 which contained the former Harris farm. There is no public right-of-way.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1919. Book 4. pp. 5456-547. The incorporation certificate defines the lot as being part of lot 89 of the town, bounded on the north and east by the highway; on the south and west by the lands of George Hollenbeck; and containing 1 3/4 acres.
Letter: John Parmelee, Phelps Town Historian to Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, September 1996. County Historian's cemetery file. According to Mr. Parmelee the Westfall Cemetery began as a family cemetery by the Westfall family in 1811 when the Town of Phelps included land north to Mud River (Creek) before Wayne County was founded. See also: Naukam. p. 31. which lists two Westfall Cemeteries. One is said by Naukam to be located on the east side of County Rd. 6 between Fisher and Gifford Rds. The other is supposedly located on the west side of County Rd. 6 between Cress and Gifford Rd.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1912. Book 3. p. 523. The cemetery is called "Phelps New Cemetery" in the village. In 1916 the Phelps Cemetery Corp. filed an order changing its number of directors. See: Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1916. Book 4. p. 288.
Letter: Peggy Treble, Richmond Town Historian to Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, September 1996. Mrs. Treble related that the stone was removed from Frosttown Cemetery in the early 1940's by Coley Dugan, then ownwer of the Barkley homestead. Barkley did not own the homestead when Lucy died in 1825. In 1996 Lucy Frost Barkley's stone was still propped up against the stump of the old oak tree.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. Book #1. p. 122. Ontario County land records. Liber 106. p. 105. This cemetery may be mixed up with West Richmond (Purcell) Cemetery since the deed refers to the Grantees as trustees of the burying ground in "West Richmond." However, the names on the West Richmond Cemetery Association clearly are buried in Purcell Cemetery.
This cemetery incorporated as West Richmond Cemetery. Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. Book 1. (1875) p. 83. The names on the 1875 incorporation papers are all listed as buried in what is now known as Purcell Cemetery. The incorporators met at the old Baptist Church "in the vicinity."
On some sets of readings the Richmond Center Cemetery is also called Reed Cemetery. The readings carried the Reed name over from a single page of readings done at the same time which are really an extract from the readings of the Purcell/Curtiss Cemetery. See also: Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1878. Book 1. p. 93-94.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1932. Book 6. According to the index entry, the incorporation papers for the Butcher Cemetery Corp. were filed but not recorded. Evidently they were not approved by the Secretary of State.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. 1861. Book 1. pp. 42-43. The incorporation calls this the "Log Meeting House Cemetery" near Halls Corners, Town of Seneca, and specifies that it is situated on Lot 81 of the town. That description fits the location of the Little Church Cemetery. The 1859 map of the county, based upon the surveys of S. N. Beers, and published by A. D. Z. Dawson (Philadelphia) shows the location of the cemetery with the notation of the "Old Log Meeting House" just to the north.
Ontario County Clerk. Incorporations. Book 1. 1879. p. 96-98.; Interment book in possession of Ontario County Historical Society, 2001. Map of plots of Sand Hill Cemetery in Ontario County Clerk's Office. Ontario County Maps. Book #2. #80. 1879. p. 18.
Letter: Peter F. Blaisdell, Code Enforcement Officer, Town of South Bristol to Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, December 26, 1996. County Historian's cemetery file. Mr. Blaisdell indicated that the Allen Cemetery had been visited "within the last few months." Its location is listed as "unknown" in many references.
Letter: Peter F. Blasidell, Code Enforcement Officer, Town of South Bristol to Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, December 26, 1996. County Historian's cemetery files. Mr. Blaisdell suggests that this may be Gulick Cemetery. The names of two members of the Quayle family are included in readings of this cemetery in the County Historian's Office, however. Moreover, the same names appear on the lists for Gulick, McGreavy, and Frosttown Cemeteries. A reading taken in the 1930's, and deposited at the Rochester Public Library, calls Frosttown Cemetery "Gulick Gorge."
Letter: Peter F. Blaisdell, Code Enforcement Officer, Town of South Bristol to Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, December 26, 1997. Mr. Blaisdell suggests that the Hill and Davis Hill cemeteries may be the same.
This cemetery may exist along the long-abandoned stretch of Worden Hill Rd. or it may be confused with Ganyard Hill in Bristol. See correspondence of Norma Storrs Keating in County Historian's cemetery file.
See: J. Sheldon Fisher. 1992. Graves moved to Boughton Hill Cemetery. According to Fisher, several graves were left including those for Seneca Boughton, Mary Dickinson Parks, and other members of the Parks family. "All stone markers are missing except the monument with the Parks name on it."
See: J. Sheldon Fisher. "Days of Victor's Past." The Daily Messenger. (Canandaigua, NY) Aug. 6, 1992. p. 301. The Fishers Abandoned Cemetery may be the same cemetery J. Sheldon Fisher calls the Fisher family cemetery in Fishers. He indicated that five burials from the "family cemetery" had been removed to Boughton Hill Cemetery in 1884.
Letter: Elaine K. Brown to Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, 1996. County Historian's cemetery file. Since Jabez, who built the house, and his wife, Jemima, and their children are not found elsewhere they may be at this location.
Letter: Elaine K. Brown to Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, 1996, County Historian's cemetery file. Mrs. Brown indicates that Thomas Lane, who moved away from Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario during War of 1813 is probably not buried in Lane Cemetery despire published information (See: Fisher article) and that both the stones of John Lloyd Lane and Sarah Lane were found being used as door steps.
See: J. Sheldon Fisher. 1992. Fisher states that Lucy Parsons, wife of Joshua Ketchum, is buried at this site. Mrs. Elaine K. Brown, in a 1996 letter to County Historian, Preston Pierce, points out that Lucy Ketchum has a stone and is buried in Boughton Hill Cemetery just in front of her sister Jerusha Seymour. See: Letter, 1996, County Historian's cemetery file.
Letter: Elaine K. Brown, to Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, 1996. County Historian's cemetery file. Mrs. Brown states thatAbigail Boughton Smith, daughter of Hezekiah and sister of Jared, settled on the farm with husband Nicholas Smith. She found a coroner's report in Ontario County Archive stating that burial was made on the farm. None of Abigail's family is buried on Boughton Hill so they are probably in this location.
See: J. Sheldon Fisher. 1992. which is questioned by researchers but is noted here because of media publication. See letter: Elaine K. Brown to Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, 1996. Mrs. Brown indicates that the Proprietor's Church Cemetery is between a small white house on Moore Ave. opposite the parking lot and the church site on the hill above. That was the old Kendall lot. The deed, a copy of which Mrs. Brown sent to Rose Fagan, Victor Town Historian, indicates the presence of the cemetery.