SITES IN ONTARIO COUNTY
LISTED ON THE STATE AND
NATIONAL REGISTERS OF HISTORIC
(ALSO THE HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY)
Compiled by Preston E. Pierce, EdD
Ontario County Historian
This listing is an update to the previous listings compiled by the Office of the Ontario County Historian.
Notices of admission to the National Register appear in periodic issues of the Federal Register. Copies of the Federal Register, containing the National Register of Historic Places, are still difficult to find for many local residents and officials. Therefore, the County Historian's Office presents the listing below as a single reference guide to National Register sites in Ontario County. In recent years, however, the National Register citations can be accessed through the National Park Service Internet website: http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/.
Additions or corrections would be appreciated since the Historian must depend on communication from the state and others, and since the information is vital to local governments, preservationists, and developers. Since it is also protected under the State Environmental Quality Review law, any property which appears to be eligible for the register should also be reported. Property which appears to be eligible would include property formally nominated to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation. Contact Dr. Preston Pierce, Ontario County Historian, 3871 County Road #46, Canandaigua, New York 14424.
The dated notations below do not refer to the dates of the Federal Register or any state register. Rather, the notice citation dates here refer to dates of notification letters received by the Office of the Ontario County Historian. Each update of this list is dated. Each list supercedes all previous lists.
In New York, the action office for National Register nominations is the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, Historic Preservation Field Services Bureau, Peebles Island, PO Box 189, Waterford, NY 12188-0189. Their telephone number is (518) 237-8643.
SITE LISTINGS BY MUNICIPALITY
VILLAGE OF BLOOMFIELD:
Properties listed under the former Villages of East Bloomfield and Holcomb would now be listed for Bloomfield.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church (44 Main St.) Nomination notice 1/7/97.
CITY OF CANANDAIGUA:
Adelaide Avenue School (106‑116 Adelaide Avenue)
Benham House (#280‑282 South Main Street)
Brigham Hall Complex (229 Bristol Street)
Canandaigua Historic District including specifically:
Bemis Street (#123, 125, 106, 126‑132, 134)
Bristol Street (#9‑81, 38‑80)
Center Street (#198, 200‑256, 258 1/2, 201, 203‑257)
Coy Street (#9‑13, 15, 24‑26)
Dailey Avenue (#15, 17‑21, 23)
Fort Hill Avenue (#40)
Gibson Street (#29‑185, 16‑232)
Gorham Street (#6‑116, 25‑115, 117)
Howell Street (#15‑185, 187, 16, 18‑152)
Niagara Street (#13, 15‑19)
North Main Street (#2‑336, 27‑335)
[These properties, together with the property at #16 Gibson street, were part of the original
North Main Street Historic District established in 1973.]
Park Place (#99, 100‑136)
Phoenix Street (#9‑11, 17, 4, 6‑20)
Sly Street (#19, 21‑23)
South Main Street (#29, 33‑245, 28, 44‑230, 236)
Cobblestone Manor (#495 North Main Street)
Granger Cottage (#60 Granger Street)
Granger Homestead [Francis Granger house](#426 North Main Street)
Marshall House (#274 Bristol Street)
Saltonstall Street School (47 Saltonstall Street)
Sonnenberg Gardens (#151 Charlotte Street)
Thaddeus Chapin House (#128 Thad Chapin Street)
US Post Office [YMCA] (#28 N. Main St.) Listed separately by National Register 11/17/88
#426 South Main Street
VILLAGE OF CLIFTON SPRINGS:
Clifton Springs Sanitarium (11 East Main Street)
Clifton Springs Sanitarium Historic District
Boundary Increase. Approval 4/1/90.
Foster Cottage (9 East Main Street)
VILLAGE OF EAST BLOOMFIELD:
East Bloomfield Historic District including specifically:
State Street (#9‑39, 10‑22)
South Avenue (#2‑10 inclusive)
East Bloomfield Cemetery
Park Street (#4, 6, 8)
Main Street (#49, 51, 50‑52, 56‑60, 62)
West Main Street (#59, 61, 63, 65, 67, 69, 75)
St. Bridget's Roman Catholic Church Complex (15 Church St.) Federal list notification
St. Bridget's Roman Catholic Cemetery (15 Church St., between Church and Michigan
Sts.). Listed separately 8/28/92.
TOWN OF EAST BLOOMFIELD:
Addison Wheeler House (6353 Grimble Rd.). Notice of placement on State Register
CITY OF GENEVA:
Ashcroft (112 Jay St.)
Geneva Hall (Hobart College)
Nestor House (Geneva‑on‑the‑Lake) (1001 Lochland Road)
Lehigh Valley Railroad Station [listed as "eligible" Nov. 9, 1987]
Pulteney Land Office (106 Washington St.) Listed as "eligible."
South Main Street Historic District including specifically:
East Side of South Main Street (#375‑859)
West Side of South Main Street (from the Masonic Temple to Jay Street including Park Place and Pulteney Park)
Smith Opera House
Trinity Hall (Hobart College)
US Post Office (67 Castle St.)
Parrott Hall (Agricultural Experiment Station)
Geneva Armory (300 Main St.) State recommendation to Federal list 1/6/95. Federal list
Washington Street Cemetery (Washington St.) Notice of consideration 2/11/2002. Notice
of listing 4/23/2002.
First Baptist Church (134 North Main St.) Notice of consideration 2/11/2002. State
recommendation to Federal list 8/20, 2002. Notice of placement on Federal list
Genesee Park Historic District. State recommendation to Federal list 8/20/2002.
TOWN OF GENEVA:
Bellhurst Castle (Lochland Rd.)
Thomas Barron House (Rtes. 5 & 20 west of Geneva City)
TOWN OF HOPEWELL:
Oliver Warner Farmstead (#2607 Route 488)
TOWN OF MANCHESTER:
Hill Cumorah site [Cited in state letter to OCHS as Palmyra 8/31/89.] Approval tabled
by State Review Board 4/10/73. Tabled status unchanged 1997 per telephone
conversation with Field Services Bureau, NYSOPRHP.
Port Gibson United Methodist Church (2951 Greig St., Port Gibson) Final approval
VILLAGE OF NAPLES:
Ephraim Cleveland House (201 N. Main St.) Letter of federal approval 4/31/94.
Morgan Hook and Ladder Building (18 Mill St.) State consideration letter 2/6/95. State list approved 5/22/95; federal list approved 6/12/95.
Naples Memorial Town Hall (Main St.) State list approved 4/27/96; federal list approved 6/14/96.
TOWN OF PHELPS:
Harmon Cobblestone Farmhouse (983 Smith Rd.) Notice of federal approval 6/12/1992.
William Hoffman House (1064 Townline Rd., Phelps). Notice of State consideration
8/13/2002. State list approved 11/22/02. Approved to National Register 1/16/03.
[It appears that, despite the address, this property is actually located in Seneca
County due to a bend in the road.]
Philetus Swift House (866 Route 96). Placed on State Register 2/7/05. Notice of listing on
National Register 4/4/05.
VILLAGE OF PHELPS:
Phelps Community Memorial Library (St. John's Episcopal Church)
First Baptist Church of Phelps (26 Church St.) Notice of federal approval 6/12/1992.
Phelps Town Hall (79 Main St.) Notice of review by State 2/14/96. Notice of federal
TOWN OF SENECA:
Seneca Presbyterian (Number Nine) Church
Thomas Barron House (#1160 Routes 5&20)
Rippey Cobblestone House (1227 Leet Rd.) Letter of federal listing 10/29/92.
Levi Barden Cobblestone Farmhouse (5300 Wabash Rd.) Notice of review and
consideration by state 11/6/02. Notice of placement on State Register 6/11/03.
Notice of placement on National Register 6/11/03.
TOWN OF SOUTH BRISTOL:
South Bristol Grange 1107 (6457 Rte. 64, Bristol Springs) Notice of review by state
8/8/97. Letter of federal listing 4/10/98.
Wilder Cemetery (5809 Rt. 64). Notice of consideration 2/11/2002. Approved to National
TOWN OF VICTOR:
Boughton Hill [roughly the area of the Ganondagan State Historic Site]
Felt Cobblestone General Store (6452 Route 96) Notice of federal approval 6/12/1992.
Cobblestone Railroad Pumphouse (County Rd. 42 in Fishers) Notice of federal approval
District 7 Cobblestone Schoolhouse (236 High St. Ext.) Notice of consideration: 2/14/92. Information from Town Historian indicates that approval was not granted due to extensive exterior design change.
Valentown Hall (Valentown Square [High Street at Valentown Rd.]) Notice of
consideration 2/10/97. Notice of final approval 6/18/97.
Jeremiah Cronkite House (1095 Lynaugh Rd.) Notice of placement on State Register
12/27/2001. Contemporary press reports indicate that property owner may have
requested removal from the register after approval. No reverse action noted as of
VILLAGE OF VICTOR:
Osborne‑Harris House (#146 Maple Avenue)
Osborne House Outbuildings
REGISTER ENTRIES IN NEED OF CLARIFICATION
Veterans Administration Medical Center [This "structure" was listed in the Federal
Register (47 FR 4965) on February 2, 1982. There is some question about the status of the buildings and which ones are covered. Documents in the files of the Engineering Dept. at the VA Medical Center indicate that the VA has merely determined that the site may be eligible for listing, but is not actually listed.
The old mill at #132‑134 Bemis Street has been demolished.
The house at #26 Coy Street has been demolished.
St. Mary's Church Convent, 16 Gibson Street, is on the Register as the General John A. Granger House. From the ground it appears to be on Main Street but the address
is Gibson Street.
The Ontario County Court House, a part of the Canandaigua Historic District, is on the National Register.
The City Pier and Colonial Inn (McGregor's) may not be cited in the National Register but may be included in a City Historic Preservation Ordinance.
Hotel Seneca (Now demolished)
Jacobs Building (Exchange Street)
Both of the above structures were listed in the Federal Register (46 FR 10676) on February 3, 1981 although at least one of them has since been demolished.
TOWN OF MANCHESTER:
Hill Cumorah is still "tabled" and its status as a historic property under state and federal
legislation is questionable. No reason for the tabling has ever been given.
TOWN OF VICTOR:
Ganondagan State Historic Site (Boughton Hill) was increased in size by 245 acres in July,
1998. No notice was received that the new acreage was included in the register citation.
HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY
The Historic American Buildings Survey began in 1935 and has continued under the auspices of various federal agencies. Since its inception, the Survey has provided architects renderings of approximately 15,000 buildings nationwide. Historic buildings, residential, commercial and industrial, are nominated to the Survey by local, state, and federal officials and by interested citizens. The architectural renderings, when completed, are deposited in the National Archives. Drawings for most of these entries are available on the Internet at the website of the Library of Congress, http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/pphome.html. Simply fill in the querry box with a search parameter such as “Congregational church Canandaigua.”
The Survey, which antedates the National Register of Historic Places by 31 years, was the first attempt by the federal government to note historic buildings for posterity and document their appearance. The National Register program was begun in 1966 as a result of the National Historic Preservation Act passed by Congress that year. According to a 1983 study of the Historic American Buildings Survey (undertaken by Alicia Stamm of the National Park Service) almost half of the 12,000 entries on the Survey had been demolished by 1966.
In this age of expansion and development, especially in Ontario County, it is important to note the existence of the Historic American Buildings Survey. Not only does the Survey take note of our historic building resources, but it also emphasizes the importance of the buildings and documents their historic appearances. Local historical groups should note that copies of the architects renderings may be obtained from the National Archives or the National Park Service. Survey entry numbers are provided here. A copy of the complete survey (as of 1983; there have been very few entries since) can be found in the reference section of the Library of Community College of the Finger Lakes.
SURVEY CITATIONS BY MUNICIPALITY
TOWN OF BRISTOL:
Bristol Center Presbyterian Church (HABS # NY‑235)
CITY OF CANANDAIGUA:
Carr‑Hayes House, Gibson and Hubbell Streets, (HABS # NY‑214)
First Congregational Church, North Main Street, (HABS # NY‑5‑R‑11) Reported in Ontario County Times-Journal, Mar. 22, 1935.
Gideon Granger House, 295 North Main Street, (HABS # NY‑5‑R‑2)
Henry Lansing House, 72 East Gibson Street, (HABS # NY‑212)
The City Pier may be covered by a Historic Preservation ordinance but does not appear to be named in the National Register.
CITY OF GENEVA:
Andrew Burns House, 859 South Main Street, (HABS # NY‑230)
Jebidiah Chapman House [Survey spelling], 562 South Main Street, HABS # NY‑232)
Chew House (Entrance), 600 South Main Street, (HABS # NY‑239)
Nester Hotel (Hotel Geneva), 529‑533 Exchange Street, (HABS # NY‑5706)
Truslow House, 606 South Main Street, (HABS # NY‑238) Wheat House, 584 South Main Street, (HABS # NY‑237)
Col. Charles Williamson House, 839 South Main Street, (HABS # NY‑233)
VILLAGE OF NAPLES:
Ephraim Cleveland House, [no address given], HABS # NY‑236)