HISTORIANS’

NEWSLETTER

OF ONTARIO COUNTY

 

Vol. XXV July 2007                 Published by the Ontario County Historian *******************************************************************************

             We are an all-season county!  Its hard to pick a time when there are more things going on to celebrate our heritage.  Summer is here, enjoy these many reminders of our great outdoors and our history.  Enjoy!  Learn!  Contribute!   

UPCOMING

EVENTS

1


Through Aug 18:  The Ontario County Historical Soc. will keep its exhibit of needlework samplers open.  80 Samplers dating from the late 1790s to mid-1800s.  Tue-Sat:  10:00 AM-4:30 PM.  Admission $3.00.  At the OCHS museum, 55 N. Main St., Canandaigua.

 

Jun 29-Sep 2:  Vintage Motorcycle Exhibit at the Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport.  Regular museum hours.  More information at:

 

<www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org>

 

or by phone at (607) 569-2160.

 

Jul 7-Dec 29:  "From Steamboat Landing to State Park: Public Access in the Finger Lakes." Exhibit at Geneva Historical Soc., 543 S. Main St., Geneva.  Free.

This exhibit is part of a six-museum collaborative project entitled Summer in the Finger Lakes that examines the history of summertime leisure on Canandaigua, Cayuga, Keuka,
Owasco, and Seneca Lakes.  Each museum is hosting an exhibit that addresses a different aspect of summer in the Finger Lakes. The other five exhibits are: "From Sacred to Stereotype and Back Again: Tourist Presentations of Native Americans in the Finger Lakes" at the Cayuga Museum of History and Art in Auburn; "From Toddler to Teenager: Growing Up
on Vacation"
at the Chemung Valley History Museum in Elmira; "From Lifeguard to Wine Pourer: Summer Work in the Finger Lakes" at The History Center in Tompkins County in Ithaca; "From Camp to Cottage: Finger Lakes Summer Homes" at The Ontario County Historical Society in Canandaigua; and "From Lake Trout to Grape Pie: Summer Food in the Finger Lakes" at the Yates County Genealogical and Historical Society in Penn Yan.

 

For more information about this exhibit or project, call the Geneva Historical Society office at 315-789-5151 or visit the project website at:

 

<www.summerinthefingerlakes.org>.

 

Jul 8:  East Bloomfield Historical Soc. Sixth Annual Pre-1916 Auto Meet sponsored by the Rochester Region of the Horseless Carriage Club of America. In addition to the non-judged display, flea market and mini-tour, the Historical Society will be celebrating History Day with a chicken barbeque, strawberry sundae dessert
and pie sale.  Contact: Judith Smith
(585) 393-9312.

 

Jul 12 & 28; Aug 9 & 23:  Garden Vibes Concert Series at George Eastman House, East Ave., Rochester.  5:30-8:30 PM.  Tickets:  $15.00; $10.00 members; $5.00 children age 13-18.  Children under 13 free. Call (585) 271-3361 ext. 224 for information.

 

Jul 21-22:  Ganondagan State Historic Site in Victor will host its annual Native American Dance and Music Festival.  The only event of its kind in western NY, the program includes Dineh Tah’ Navajo Dancers, the Buffalo Creek Dancers, Young Spirit Dancers and other music and acts.  Thousands of handcrafted Native American arts and crafts will be available.  Family activities including storytelling, traditional art demonstrations, longhouse tours.  Off site parking with shuttle bus service.

 

On the Internet at:

 

<www.ganondagan.org>

 

Jul 28-29:  Glenn Curtiss Museum (Hammondsport).  Curtiss Classic Motorcycle Rally.  More information at:

 

<www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org>

or by phone at (607) 569-2160.

 

Jul 31:  Granger Homestead Soc.  Women's Council day trip to Merry-Go-Round Theater. See “Thoroughly Modern Millie” at the Merry Go Round Theater in Auburn after lunch at the historic Springside Inn on Owasco Lake. The motor coach leaves the Granger Homestead at 10:30 am and returns by 6pm. Cost: $75 includes entrée (Breast of Chicken, Roast Loin of Pork, Baked Scrod) salad, rice or potato, vegetable, rolls, a beverage and dessert.

Seats are limited, reserve early by calling 880-1413 or 394-1472

 

Aug 1-Fall:  Phelps Historical Society “Harvest Food, Festivals and Fun” exhibit at Howe House museum, 66 Main St., Phelps.  Free and all welcome.

 

Aug 4:  Phelps Historical Soc. Guided historic walking tour of Phelps.  10:30 AM-Noon.  Meet on front porch of Howe House museum, 66 Main St.  Wear sturdy walking shoes.  Free.

 

Aug 10-12:  Glenn Curtiss Museum (Hammondsport).  Indiana Jones Exhibit and Golden Era Gown Display.  More information at:

 

<www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org>

 

or by phone at (607) 569-2160.

 

PUBLICATIONS

           

            Here are a couple of suggestions for early spring reading.  Shop locally!  Start with the bookstore of your local historical society!

 

JoAnn Meaker, a retiring teacher from Fairport, is the author of a new local book from Arcadia Publishing, Images of America:  Ontario (Wayne Co.).  Following the usual Arcadia format, the book includes 200 high quality historical photographs and detailed captions in 128 pages.  $19.95 from many local bookstores.

 

The long-awaited book about Roseland Park will soon be available from the Ontario County Historical Society. Order from 55 N. Main St.  Canandaigua, NY 14424.  Call (585) 394-4975 for details.

 

FAMILY HISTORY QUESTIONS

           

            Anyone having information for those inquiring should contact them directly.  Requests for information are printed for two months.  Those being published for the second time are followed by an "*".

 

Donna Fleming

(<dswfleming@msn.com>) is looking for her great-great-grandfather, Richard Pierce (Pearce), born Jun. 18, 1799; died 1894; married to Lydia Chandler, 1817-1884.  His son Levi (one of 9 children) migrated to Anthon, Iowa. Information is needed on the birthplace of Richard (R?) Pearce.

 

J. Gleason (<gleason-clan@hotmail.com>)

She would like to know the location Sauger Cemetery?  In the 19 March 1903 issue of the Clifton Springs Press, it states that her great-grandfather, George Andrew King, was buried there that day. She is researching her great-grandfather's family (George Andrew King b. NY 12 June 1850, and d. 17 March 1903 in Phelps, Ontario County).  George moved his family back to Newark/Arcadia, Wayne County, before 1885, and was in Clifton Springs in 1900 census. *

 

POTPOURRI  

                       

            The Granger Homestead in Canandaigua is seeking vendors to participate in an open-air, European inspired Christmas Market. The event will be held under large, heated festive tents.

            The market will be open November 9-11 and will be held on the Historic grounds of the Granger Homestead. The Society plans to attract vendors that offer one of a kind arts and crafts, specialty foods and holiday decorations. Contact Heather Ward (912) 660-5083

            Additional details and vendor application call (585) 394-1472 or e-mail:

<info@grangerhomestead.org>

 

            A note in the recent newsletter of the Phelps Community Historical Society newsletter challenges readers to undertake a summer project in oral history.  County Historian, Preston Pierce, who is also the DHP Regional Archivist at the Rochester Regional Library Council, has two training programs on Oral History that can be scheduled for group programs.  Contact the Regional Archivist at:

 

<ppierce@rrlc.org>

 

or call the County Historian’s office. At (585) 396-4034.

 

            Visit the East Bloomfield Historical Society on the Internet at:

 

<www.ebhs1838.org>



 

Farmington Post Office.  A reminder of the pace of change appeared on the eBay Internet auction site recently.  The letter above, mailed from Farmington in 1844 sold for more than $75.00.   Postage was 10 cents based on distance.  The first postage stamps were issued in the US in 1847.  Farmington Post Office was opened in 1818 as New Salem and closed in 1901.  It was located in what most of us call “Pumpkin Hook.”  Elias Lapham was Postmaster when this letter was sent.


 

 

Paper copies of this Newsletter are available

For $10.00  per year

Checks payable to Ontario County

 

Mail to Historian, Dept of RAIMS, 3051 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua, NY 14424